An essential service in need of streamlined digital communications
"With Meals on Wheels in the public eye as an ongoing essential service, our website has been crucial in our response to the coronavirus crisis, as we serve some of the most vulnerable to the virus. Website traffic has substantially increased as both clients and families look for service updates and the local community searches for an opportunity to help and contribute. When we added the pop-up to our website during the holidays to encourage donations, we never expected it to also serve as a valuable first stop during a public health emergency."
Meals on Wheels of Yolo County is an essential service that provides meals for some of the most vulnerable members of their community. Seeking ways to streamline communications efforts, the organization utilized the tools and features available to them on their website to create a guided experience for their website visitors and direct them to the most pertinent information.
Actionable steps that were taken to improve digital communications:
- Pop-up alerts: During these challenging times, MOW of Yolo County is focusing on serving their existing clients. They needed a way to quickly share resources for other low-income seniors in their community, including their local food bank and affordable bags full of essential grocery items that could be picked up curbside or placed directly into vehicles. They also chose to highlight their donation page in the pop-up alert to help offset some of the additional, unexpected costs they are incurring.
- Menu updates: During the crisis, shelf-stable and frozen meals are being delivered to regular clients. Visitors do not need to search for the available menu, and can instead see what is being delivered directly on the homepage.
- Powerful, precise banner imagery: By choosing to publish one banner image that spotlights the most pertinent COVID-19-related information, distractions were eliminated and visitors were guided to a page that lists resources and a donation link. d,
- Texting: Our flexible texting plans, which you can stop and start as needed, allow you to direct your supporters to an online donation page right on their phone.
- Stable hosting: With clients, families, and members of the community seeking regular updates, a significant surge in site traffic has occurred. OneEach Technologies hosts all of our customers' websites on our secure, managed servers which were built to seamlessly handle these spikes without any service disruptions.
Since 2000 – and through disasters such as the September 11 attacks, Hurricane Katrina, and the California Wildfires – one of OneEach Technologies' missions has been to help nonprofits of all sizes reach members of their community through the use of technology during times of crisis. Now, more than ever before, communication is key.